We want travel sellers to have confidence in the travel services and products offered by operators for Chinese visitors to New Zealand. Our China Monitoring Unit administers a Code of Conduct as part of our commitment to making trips by Chinese visitors a success.
The China Group Tours Code of Conduct is part of our Approved Destination Status programme (ADS). It requires operators to provide good quality tourism services and products. We keep a register of Inbound Tour Operators (ITOs) who host Chinese visitors, along with their ADS Code of Conduct approval status.
The China Monitoring Unit assesses ITOs to see if they comply with the Code of Conduct. They must meet some key criteria when planning client itineraries:
- Hotel accommodation must be Qualmark graded 3 star or better
- Self-contained accommodation must be Qualmark graded 4 star or better
- Coach transport used for ADS tours must have a New Zealand Bus and Coach Association grading of 3 stars or higher. All transport operators must be Qualmark endorsed
- Tour guides must speak English and Chinese and have knowledge of the destination and local culture
- Itineraries provided to Chinese visitors should be the same as the one submitted to Immigration New Zealand with the ADS visa application
- The tour itinerary must include at least two commercial tourism activities, not including coach sightseeing, with a maximum of 1.5 hours of organised shopping per day
- ADS approved ITOs must engage directly (without an agent or intermediary) with a Chinese travel seller in all aspects of the conduct and administration of an ADS tour
To apply for ADS approval, you can get an application form and further information on our corporate website
Tourism New Zealand Visitor Guide (Chinese)
We’ve produced this brochure to help Chinese visitors understand more about New Zealand and what it offers as an international tourist destination. It contains information about New Zealand's history, culture and regions, as well as helpful visitor safety and shopping tips.
It’s available to all Chinese visitors when they arrive at Auckland International Airport.
If you’re a travel seller print it off and give it to your clients or use it as part of a training programme provided to your staff or business partners.
Please contact us
if you have approval, enquiries, feedback or complaints about a tour you have been on.