Southland is a region of contrasts – from mountain peaks, the deepest of lakes, meandering rivers, fertile farmlands, lush primordial forests and captivating coastlines, to the wild Southern Ocean and its islands.
No matter what your passion, Southland’s unmatched beauty provides a natural playground, enticing visitors with its many attractions and scenic highlights. Spectacular coastlines, impressive wildlife, stunning national parks and succulent seafood are among the region’s draw cards.
The best of Southland
- On the water – Your clients can speed across New Zealand's deepest lake by jet boat, go cage diving with great whites or explore the world of waterfalls, beaches and unique wildlife on a tour of the Catlins.
- Stewart Island - A nature lover’s paradise, Stewart Island is the best place in New Zealand to spot a brown kiwi in its natural environment. Hikers will enjoy the three-day Rakiura Track, which loops around the island.
- Classic motoring/transport – Whether two or four wheels, the engineered past is everywhere with many collections to marvel. Suggest your clients visit Transport World and Motorcyle Mecca. Or get behind the controls at Dig This Invercargill where they can operate bulldozers and diggers.
- Savour the South – Southland serves up succulent seafood including Stewart Island salmon, pāua (abalone), mussels, blue cod and world-famous Bluff oysters. These are celebrated every winter at the Bluff Oyster & Food Festival.
- Ride the trails – The Around the Mountain Cycle Trail takes you through lush farmlands with dramatic mountain backdrops. Welcome Rock Trails offers a stunning private mountain biking and walking track on a high country station.
- Drive the Southern Scenic Route - This 600km drive connects Queenstown, Invercargill and Dunedin along the rugged coastline of The Catlins. Stop en route at Curio Bay to discover the fossilised remains of an ancient forest during low tide.
Videos on the region and other New Zealand regions
Southland Regional Tourism Organisation (Southland New Zealand)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Check out Southland's promotional video www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZL76r3rT1c&list=TLSgh33UOlbD0
Climate & Weather:
18 °C / 64.4 °F
10 °C / 50 °F
10 °C/ 50 °F
-1 °C / 30.2 °F