From Hobbit and Lord of the Rings filming locations to golden sandy beaches and fresh local produce, a recommendation to visit the Nelson/Tasman region is always well received by clients.
There are many National Parks in the Nelson/Tasman region for your clients to explore – some only accessible by foot, boat or even by kayak. Aside from some of New Zealand's best beaches, there are a range of outdoor activities for your clients to try, from horse treks to sailing.
For the creative visitors, they'll find many kindred spirits in this area, with more than 350 working artists and craftspeople living in Nelson Tasman – traditional, contemporary and Māori. Film buffs have the chance to visit a host of Hobbit trilogy and Lord of the Rings film locations.
The Best of Nelson/Tasman
- Creative Arts – Clients can meet local artists in their studios or get private tutoring in painting, ceramics and even glass blowing at the Höglund Art Glass Studio and Car Gallery.
- Museums – The World of Wearable Arts and Classic Cars Museums allows clients to see a range of intriguing garments from the international show. The Car Gallery and Classic Car Collection lets you see over 100 sought-after vehicles.
- Abel Tasman National Park – New Zealand’s only coastal National Park, clients can cruise, sail a catamaran, catch a water taxi or kayak the clear waters.
- Kahurangi National Park – As well as making use of the beaches, clients can also walk the Heaphy Track to trek to forests and tussock surroundings.
- Nelson Lakes National Park – This national park marks the beginning of the Southern Alps, providing alpine scenery and forested valleys.
- Local produce – Fresh seafood abounds, including at the smokehouse in Mapua, while the Nelson Markets every Saturday in the city square will give clients a taste of the area.
- Craft beer – Nelson is home to many craft breweries. Clients can take a tour of the breweries and sample a wide range of boutique beers.
- The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit trilogy – Nelson/Tasman boasts seven film locations from The Hobbit trilogy and three from The Lord of the Rings, letting fans get a glimpse of the movies for themselves. The best way to see these locations is through a tour.
- Farewell Spit – Farewell Spit is a unique bird sanctuary and wetland and only accessible by guided tour.
- Beaches and Water Activities – Golden Bay is open to walking, swimming or kayaking, and Te Waikoropupu Springs located in Golden Bay are the largest freshwater springs in New Zealand.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Nelson Regional Tourism Organisation (Nelson/Tasman Tourism)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
19 °C / 66.2 °F
13 °C/ 55.4 °F
2 °C / 35.6 °F