The city of the south, Dunedin, wears its Scottish heritage with pride.
Coastal Otago offers a host of natural wonders set amongst beautiful landscape. Visiting the city and harbourside of Dunedin allows visitors to experience even more, with vibrant events and culture on show, as well as a range of restaurants, cafés and bars in this small but thriving city.
The Best of Dunedin:
- History and heritage – As New Zealand’s first city, Dunedin is steeped in heritage, which can be witnessed at the Toitū Otago Settlers Museum, Olveston historic house and Larnach Castle, New Zealand’s only castle.
- Architecture – Take in the magnificent Edwardian and Victorian buildings, including the Dunedin Railway Station and stone buildings of Otago University.
- Food and drink tours – Cadbury’s Chocolate Factory is must for everyone with a sweet tooth, while Speight’s Brewery offers award-winning beer tours.
- Chinese gardens – A gift to the city, these gardens contribute to the many attractions in the inner city of Dunedin.
- Railway – The Taieri Gorge Railway is a historic journey, taking you through century-old hand carved tunnels.
The best of Coastal Otago:
- Hot tubs – Experience the private hot tubs in Omarama with mountain views.
- Architecture – Take in the Victorian precinct in Oamaru on foot.
- Natural wonders – Get a glimpse of the world famous Moeraki Boulders, where 60 million year old boulders are spherical in shape, or the Clay Cliffs or Elephant Rocks, where limestone has formed to look like a herd of elephants.
- Wildlife – See amazing wildlife up close including the Royal Albatross, which boasts a three metre wingspan, the Yellow-eyed Penguin (one of the world’s most endangered penguins), and colonies of the world’s smallest penguins.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Dunedin and Coastal Otago Regional Tourism Organisation (Dunedin Tourism)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
www.newzealand.com (Dunedin - Coastal Otago)
Climate & Weather:
18 °C / 64.4 °F
11 °C / 51.8 °F
10 °C/ 50 °F
4 °C / 39.2 °F