The wildlife is extraordinary and the landscapes rugged. You will love getting off the beaten track to experience this stunning area. Whether you love heritage, wildlife, or the great outdoors, there truly is something for everyone.
Clutha is the southern most district in the Otago region located on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand. Balclutha is the heart of the Clutha district, a 45 minute drive from Dunedin Airport. It is referred to as “Big River Town” after its outstanding natural feature, the Clutha River. An ideal location for travellers, you can cycle the Clutha Gold Trail near Lawrence, tour Southern Scene Route and explore the beautiful Catlins. Don’t forget to plan lots of time here to fit it all in.
The Best of Clutha
- Nugget Point Lighthouse – Clients can drive to Kaka Point to see the lighthouse and its surrounding rocky islets, the nuggets. Whilst there they'll see a range of wildlife including penguins, gannets, spoonbills and fur seals.
- Waterfalls – The McLean Falls on the Tautuku River descend 22 metres, accessible on foot, whilst the Purakaunui Falls are on the Purakaunui River and are also accessible by a short bush walk.
- Cycle Trail – Following the Clutha River, clients walk the Clutha Gold Trail over a few days, starting out from Lawrence and ending up in Beaumont Gorge.
- Jet boating – Beaumont Jet Tours offer clients a jet boating experience down the Clutha River and up to the Roxburgh Hydro Dam.
- Cathedral Caves – After a short walk from Waipati Beach, clients can walk from one cave to another, some up to 30 metres high.
- Fishing – With large brown trout and sea salmon of offer, fishing enthusiasts should head to Clutha River and Pomahaka River.
- Lawrence Village – Lawrence was Otago’s first gold-rush town, and now features a range of shops, cafes and historical accommodation.
- The Punt – Clients can catch The Punt, at Tuapeka Mouth, it’s a great way to cross the Clutha River. The Punt is the only one of its kind in the Southern hemisphere and unique in that it uses the flow of the river to cross from one side to another.
Videos on other New Zealand Regions
Destination Clutha (Cluth Regional Tourism Organisation)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
18 °C / 64.4 °F
10 °C / 50 °F
10 °C/ 50 °F
-1 °C / 30.2 °F