Christchurch is a vibrant, energetic city where urban regeneration, creativity and innovation thrive.
The city is bustling with new restaurants and bars, street art and vibrant new retail areas – all the while staying true to its heritage and traditional English feel.
Your clients can visit iconic city attractions before making Christchurch a base for exploring its surrounding natural playground. They can enjoy a variety of different experiences in wider Canterbury: local food and wine, incredible scenery and wildlife adventures, welcoming ski fields and iconic train journeys.
The best of Christchurch and Canterbury
- Explore the city of change – With murals around every corner, a great way for your clients to see the latest is by taking a street art tour of Christchurch. Or they can hop on a double-decker bus for great views and commentary, enjoy a stylish journey on a heritage tram, or take to the skies by helicopter.
- Get outdoors – Your clients can enjoy a serene escape at the Botanic Gardens, punt down the peaceful Avon River or relax in Hagley Park. Or they can visit the only year-round mountain bike and zipline park in the world, with views across the city and the Canterbury Plains.
- Marine wildlife – Send your clients to Kaikoura, where they can jump on a specialist tour to spot a range of marine life including whales, dolphins, seal colonies and the mighty albatross.
- Hamner Springs – This alpine spa village offers both relaxation and adventure. In classic Kiwi style, bungy jump and jet boat one day, enjoy hot pools and massage the next.
- Visit Akaroa – Visitors can stroll around the harbour in Akaroa, taking in some of the French history of the area, perched on the coast of the Banks Peninsula. Your clients can also swim with the Hector’s Dolphin in Akaroa, the rarest in the world.
- Scenic rail journey – If your clients would prefer not to drive, they can take the spectacular TranzAlpine train across the South Island to the West Coast.
- There are rental car depots at both ends of the TranzAlpine train line, making it easy for your self-drive clients to drop off, ride and pick up again, all as a continuous hire.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Christchurch and Canterbury Regional Tourism Organisation (Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism)
Climate & Weather:
22 °C / 71.6 °F
12 °C / 53.6 °F
12 °C/ 53.6 °F
2 °C / 35.6 °F