Central Otago has a powerful landscape. From rugged, rocky outcrops, to the vast, open plains, iconic flat top mountains, fast flowing rivers and bigger-than-big sky.
The region is steeped in gold mining heritage. But the gold in today's Central Otago is wine. With a unique climate, the area is renowned for producing some of the best wines in the country. Pinot noir excels in these southernmost vineyards, and wineries welcome visitors for tours and tastings.
When it comes to cycle trails, Central Otago is home to New Zealand’s original “Great Ride” – the Otago Central Rail Trail. Others include the Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold trails, which show off the region's goldmining heritage and spectacular scenery.
The best of Central Otago
- Wineries – With pinot noir a speciality of the region, clients can drive to a range of wineries for tastings. The vineyards make for an ideal day out, surrounded by picturesque mountain scenery.
- Classic cycle trails – Ride 150kms of unused railway corridors on the Otago Central Rail Trail, or check out gold mining history on the Roxbugh Gorge and Clutha Gold trails. Fully guided tours can booked with Trail Journeys, Off the Rails and Bike It Now.
- Heritage towns – Clyde, Naseby, St Bathans and Ophir are great places to see heritage buildings refurbished as cafés, pubs, galleries and boutique accommodation.
- Highlands Motorsport Park – Unwind at a different pace here, on four wheels instead of two. From outdoor go karts to fast laps in a Ferrari or Porsche, there is high speed fun for everyone at Highlands.
- Curling in Naseby – Curling was introduced to Central Otago over 130 years ago by Scottish gold miners, and is still played today. Naseby’s indoor curling rink gives your clients the chance to try curling all year round.
- The Otago Central Rail Trail is a family favourite, as the gentle gradient makes it accessible for all levels of cyclists. Child trailers and seats can be hired and there are lots of fun activities en route.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Central Otago Regional Tourism Organisation (Tourism Central Otago)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
www.newzealand.com (Central Otago)
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
9 °C / 48.2 °F
9 °C/ 48.2 °F
1 °C / 33.8 °F