With the harbour lining the city and an absolute multitude of dining and cultural experiences, Wellington has a lot to offer visitors.
As the capital of New Zealand, Wellington is where you'll find our parliamentary buildings. But the city isn't all politics, with plenty of cultural delights to take in too, from theatre shows to the impressive collection of art and history gathered at the Museum of New Zealand, Te Papa Tongarewa. Wellington is a foodie's delight, with an abundance of cafés, bars and restaurants around every corner.
The Best of Wellington
- Parliamentary buildings – Known as “The Beehive”, clients can tour the country’s parliamentary buildings, learning all about New Zealand’s political heritage.
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa – With the national art collection, natural history objects, an earthquake simulator and fun interactive exhibits, Te Papa gives a unique insight into New Zealand.
- Dining, shopping and nightlife – All within walking distance, clients can eat and shop their way around the city, from Courtenay Place through to Willis and Cuba Streets and down to Lambton Quay and the waterfront.
- Lord of the Rings – Clients can visit Weta Cave, where Lord of the Rings came alive, or take a guided tour of the movie's filming locations.
- Culture and arts – Wellington is home to events such as World of Wearable Arts (WOW), the biennial Festival of the Arts and the Royal New Zealand Ballet.
- Nature – Stroll through the Botanic Gardens, see a Kiwi bird (our national icon) by night at wildlife sanctuary Zealandia, or take a 4WD tour to see fur seals.
- Cable Car and Carter Observatory – Ride the cable car to enjoy views across the city and to access the Carter Observatory and Planetarium, Cable Car Museum and Botanic Gardens.
- Kapiti Coast – An hour’s drive away, the Kapiti Coast is an area rich with Māori heritage. Here you'll find the Southwards Car Museum and Paraparaumu Beach Golf Course, or clients can hop over to a nearby conservation island full of native wildlife.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Wellington Regional Tourism Organisation (Positively Wellington Tourism)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
20 °C / 68 °F
13 °C / 55.4 °F
12 °C/ 53.6 °F
7 °C / 44.6 °F