Surrounded by nature and full of creative energy, Wellington is a compact city with a compelling mix of culture, history, nature and cuisine.
Your clients can fuel their visit with strong coffee and world-class craft beer, wander through hidden laneways, experience Te Papa’s interactive museum magic, be inspired by theatres and galleries and go behind the scenes at Oscar-winning film studios.
The best of Wellington
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa –The most visited museum in Australasia, Te Papa is New Zealand's bold and innovative national museum.
- Dining, shopping and nightlife – Your clients can easily eat and shop their way around the compact city centre. Zest Food Tours offer a tasty introduction to the city’s artisan food scene. Craft beer fans will love Wellington’s multitude of boutique breweries, brew-bars and pubs.
- Movie Magic – With Weta Studio Tours, visitors can see how Lord of the Rings came to life and experience the magic behind many other blockbuster films. Guided tours to Middle-earth filming locations are offered by Wellington Rover Tours and Flat Earth NZ.
- Cable Car and Carter Observatory – Ride the cable car to enjoy views across the city and to access the Carter Observatory and Planetarium, Cable Car Museum and Botanic Gardens.
- Nature – You clients can stroll through the botanic gardens, see a kiwi bird by night at wildlife sanctuary Zealandia, or take a 4WD tour to see fur seals. Wellington is an adventure lover's paradise, with trails for walking, running or biking all within a stone's throw of the city.
- Kapiti Island– An hour’s drive and a short boat ride away, your clients can experience a tour of Kapiti Island, a sanctuary for New Zealand native species and rich Māori history.
Tips for travel agents
- Getting around – your clients won’t need a car in Wellington. The central city is flat and you can walk from one side to the other in under 30 minutes.
- Accommodation – Wellington is relatively quiet over the Christmas and New Year period, so it’s the perfect time to secure some good accommodation.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Wellington Regional Tourism Organisation (Positively Wellington Tourism)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
20 °C / 68 °F
13 °C / 55.4 °F
12 °C/ 53.6 °F
7 °C / 44.6 °F