A quiet getaway only an hour’s drive from the capital city, the Wairarapa is made up of numerous peaceful, historic towns.
Famous for its pinot noir, the Wairarapa lies at the heart of the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail. Its five characterful townships surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and rolling farmland make it home to some of New Zealand’s leading artisan food producers and wine-makers.
Clients can escape the city rush and easily spend a day or the weekend browsing the boutique stores or enjoying the premium wine, artisan food and accessible outdoor activities.
The best of Wairarapa
- Cycle the vines – Suggest your clients hire a bike, grab a wine map and cycle the short distance between more than 20 vineyards and olive groves in the wine village of Martinborough. Or book them on a guided tour, including a relaxed vineyard lunch.
- Historic villages – Greytown and Martinborough are home to many boutique shops and cafés, serving up locally made cheese, bread, olive oil, chocolate, craft beer and boutique wines. Featherston is a good place to refuel pre- or post the Remutaka Cycle Trail.
- Take an outdoor adventure – Suggest your clients check out the seal colony and lighthouse at Cape Palliser. Or they can walk to the otherworldly Putangirua Pinnacles, formed by thousands of years of erosion and a filming location for The Lord of the Rings.
- See a white kiwi – The Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre is home to the rare white kiwi and also breeds and returns endangered animals to the wild.
- Ride the Remutaka Cycle Trail – This family-friendly ride runs through Wellington, into the Wairarapa (through historic railway tunnels) and around the dramatic South Coast.
- Your clients can taste the best of the region at Toast Martinborough (Wairarapa’s premier food, wine and music festival) which takes place every November.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Wairarapa Regional Tourism Organisation (Destination Wairarapa)
Contact details sheet (ppt, 2MB)
Product Overview (pdf, 5.5MB)
Trade snapshot 2016 (pdf,1.04MB)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
11 °C / 51.8 °F
13 °C/ 55.4 °F
3 °C / 37.4 °F