The Waikato region is famous for Middle-earth movie magic, underground wonders, legendary surf beaches and the iconic Waikato River.
If your clients are Tolkien fans, they can head to Matamata and visit Hobbiton Movie Set, the amazing Hobbit-sized village created for the movies. If surfing is more their style, then Raglan is the perfect spot, with one of the longest left hand breaks in the world.
For a magical underground experience, suggest your clients visit Waitomo Caves, where the natural beauty of stalactites and stalagmites lit by the blue light of glow-worms will take their breath away. And for those seeking more of an adrenaline rush, black water rafting and abseiling are not to be missed.
The best of Waikato
- Middle-earth movie magic – Quietly hidden behind green rolling hills Hobbiton™ Movie Set is the permanent set created for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies. Take a tour and sample the exclusive brews at The Green Dragon.
- Underground activities – Millions of years in the making, the Waitomo Caves are a world-famous underground playground of glow-worms, black water rafting and abseiling.
- Surfing – With a long left-hand break and consistently good surf, Raglan is the place to go. The black-sand beaches are revered by sunseekers and the harbour is loved by those keen to cruise, kayak, kite-surf or stand-up paddleboard.
- Award-winning gardens – The Hamilton Gardens are made up of 54 hectares of beautifully landscaped themed green spaces, each telling its own story and offering an insight into a different civilisation. Guided tours, mobility scooters and bike hire make exploration of Hamilton Gardens easy.
- Winding its way through the region is New Zealand’s longest river, the Waikato River. Kayaking and jetboating are popular, but a river cruise is a good option for those clients looking for a more sedate adventure.
Videos on the region and other New Zealand regions
Hamilton Waikato Regional Tourism Organisation (Hamilton and Waikato Tourism)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
12 °C / 53.6 °F
14 °C/ 57.2 °F
5 °C / 41 °F