Taupō is a place of extraordinary natural beauty – a vast, sparkling lake, trout-filled rivers, ancient forests, steaming geothermal zones and towering snow-blanketed mountains.
With some of the North Island’s most impressive landscapes right on its doorstep, the Taupō region is perfect for outdoor adventures – from fishing, kayaking and cruising on the lake to snow sports, hiking, cycling and adrenaline adventures.
The best of Taupō
- Catch a Rainbow Trout – Australasia’s largest fresh water lake, Lake Taupō is renowned for its trout fishing. Your clients can fly fish on the rivers or enjoy lake fishing year round.
- Mine Bay Māori Rock Carvings – These 14-metre carvings can be viewed by taking a scenic cruise, sailing trip or kayaking adventure from Taupō.
- Huka Falls – One of New Zealand’s most visited natural attractions, your clients can view the thundering falls from the banks of the river or take a jet boat up to their base (prepare to get wet).
- Geothermal action – Suggest your clients experience geothermal wonders from above in a seaplane, before landing on the river beside a hidden geothermal valley.
- Ski and snow – A short drive or shuttle ride away from Taupō and Turangi, go skiing, snowboarding or touch snow for the first time at Whakapapa Ski Area. This active volcano offers over 1,000 hectares of ski area.
- Adventure – Bungy jumping, skydiving, white water rafting, mountain biking or race car driving – there’s something for every adventure seeker.
- Tongariro National Park – Discover stunning day walks and New Zealand’s most popular day hike in this UNESCO Dual World Heritage Park. Guided options are available for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- All fishing requires a licence, which most commercial operators can issue on the day.
- From May to October, snow and ice mean alpine skills and experience are essential to complete the Tongariro Alpine Crossing - it's best to suggest your clients go with a guide.
Videos on the region and other New Zealand regions
Taupō Regional Tourism Organisation (Destination Great Lake Taupō)
Great Lake Taupo trade manual
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
11 °C / 51.8 °F
12 °C/ 53.6 °F
3 °C / 37.4 °F