Escape to Ruapehu – a living landscape that’s home to ancient rainforests, active volcanoes, sacred mountains, tranquil rivers.
With its wide range of activities, this place caters to all levels, all year round. Whether it’s an easy family walk, skiing or snowboarding on a volcano, a hike around the mountain, a bike ride through the forest or a journey down the Whanganui River, it’s brimming with opportunities to connect with the great outdoors.
The best of Ruapehu
- Tongariro National Park – Suggest your clients experience New Zealand’s most popular day hike, the 19.4km Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Guided options are available. There are also many other stunning walks in this UNESCO Dual World Heritage Park.
- Ski the volcano – With two main ski fields – Whakapapa and Turoa – Mount Ruapehu offers over 1,000 hectares of ski area on an active volcano. Take a scenic, state of the art gondola ride up the volcano and dine at the highest café in New Zealand year round.
- Whanganui National Park – The mystical Whanganui River is recognised as a living being due to the local iwi’s (tribe) unique ancestral relationship with these deep waters. Your clients can drift down the river by kayak or canoe, or take a jet boat and then guided walk to the Bridge to Nowhere.
- Explore on two or four wheels – Your clients can take a rail cart along a historic disused railway line, through hill country farms and native forest. Or ride through ever-changing landscapes along the Timber Trail and Mountains-to-Sea cycle trails.
- Sitting at the foot of Mount Ruapehu with both ski areas close by, the town of Oakune is well-equipped with accommodation, restaurants and ski and snowboard retailers.
- As well as Mount Ruapehu, this region is also home to Mount Tongariro and Mount Ngauruhoe, which your clients can see via scenic flight tours.
- Car parks at either end of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing fill up quickly during peak season, so recommend your clients access the track via a shuttle from Whakapapa, National Park Village, Turangi, Taupo or Ohakune.
Videos on the region and other New Zealand regions
Ruapehu Regional Tourism Organisation (Visit Ruapehu)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
23 °C / 73.4 °F
11 °C / 51.8 °F
12 °C/ 53.6 °F
3 °C / 37.4 °F