At the heart of the lower North Island, with landscapes sweeping from the rugged Ruahine and Tararua ranges, out to the Tasman Sea – this region offers a diverse playground for all types of traveller.
The urban city of Palmerston North is home to a prominent collection of art galleries, cultural collections and vibrant street art. Discover the arts and sculpture trail, enjoy the internationally recognised theatre scene and dine out at award-winning restaurants with international and local cuisine.
Whether your clients like to explore the great outdoors, admire artwork, or devour a perfectly brewed coffee; Manawatu offers an authentic Kiwi heartland experience that's not to be missed.
The best of Manawatu
- Te Apiti – Manawatu Gorge – Experience New Zealand’s native ancient bush at its best. Take to the tracks of Te Apiti – Manawatu Gorge on foot, mountain bike, or horseback, and camp, fish or kayak on the river below.
- Museums – The Coach House Museum showcases rural New Zealand and its heritage whilst the Rugby Museum highlights everything about New Zealand’s national game. Te Manawa is the only museum in New Zealand to incorporate science, art and history in one complex.
- Urban arts and theatre – An array of theatres in Palmerston North present national and international performances. Dotted around the city are many public sculptures, pop up installations, and art exhibitions at a number of galleries.
- Tui Brewery – Home to one of New Zealand's most iconic brews, the famous Tui Brewery lets clients taste the beer, hear the story firsthand and see the brewery in action.
- Arapuke Mountain Bike Park – If your clients enjoy mountain biking, this park offers over 30 km of epic trails of all grades, only 20 minutes' drive from the city centre.
- Whitewater rafting at Mangaweka – Enjoy river adventures from grade 2 up, float through gorges, camp on the river and go for a swim.
- Wildlife park – Owlcatraz houses native birds and offers a guided tour of the animals. The purpose built owl enclosure lets you get up close while learning the legends of this mysterious bird.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Manawatu Regional Tourism Organisation (Destination Manawatu)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
22 °C / 71.6 °F
13 °C / 55.4 °F
13 °C/ 55.4 °F
5 °C / 41 °F