Only a few hours North of Wellington, Manawatu is made up of a range of rural towns that surround the City of Palmerston North, and has a wide diversity of attractions for your clients.
Palmerston North City and Manawatu offers the right mix of activities to suit most travellers, with the contrasting landscape sweeping from rugged mountain ranges and down through valleys of green, and out to the west coast beaches. The region boasts an eclectic mix of world-class heritage collections including the New Zealand Rugby Museum – a nod to our nations favourite past time. Palmerston North City features art galleries, urban sculptures and boutiques and award winning street scaping, which complement the colourful array of cafes and dinning options. You can hit the ground running on one of the many cycling, mountain biking or walking tracks, and even the most avid adrenaline junkie will be satisfied with bungee jumping, white water rafting, horse trekking and blokarting on offer.
Whether you like to explore the great outdoors, admire the beauty of artwork, or devour a perfectly brewed coffee, the Manawatu is ready to show what it’s made of.
The Best of Manawatu
- Museums – The Coach House Museum showcases rural New Zealand and its heritage whilst the Rugby Museum highlights everything about New Zealand’s national game. Te Manawa is the only musuem in New Zealand to incorporate science, art and history in one complex.
- Te Apiti – Manawatu Gorge – Experience New Zealand’s native ancient bush at its best. Take to the tracks of Te Apiti – Manawatu Gorge on foot, mountain bike, or horseback, and camp, fish or kayak on the river below.
- Adventure – Mokai Gravity Canyon allows clients to jump the North Island's highest bungy, or take a flying fox or gravity swing, or go white water rafting on the Rangitikei River.
- Tui Brewery –Home to one of New Zealand's most iconic brews, the famous Tui Brewery lets clients taste the beer, hear the story firsthand and see the brewery in action.
- Wildlife park – Owlcatraz houses native birds and offers a guided tour of the animals. The purpose built owl enclosure lets you get up close while learning the legends of this mysterious bird.
Videos on the Region and other New Zealand Regions
Manawatu Regional Tourism Organisation (Destination Manawatu)
Find an i-SITES Visitor Information Centre
Climate & Weather:
22 °C / 71.6 °F
13 °C / 55.4 °F
13 °C/ 55.4 °F
5 °C / 41 °F