Outstanding New Zealand tourism experiences celebrated
Top New Zealand tourism operators who have demonstrated outstanding commitment to respecting people and place have been honoured at the Qualmark 100% Pure New Zealand Experience Awards.
The 2021 award winners were announced yesterday (28 July) at a ceremony held in the Christchurch Art Centre and hosted by sponsors Qualmark and Air New Zealand.
The 12 winning businesses were identified from a list of 47 finalists. The awards are particularly meaningful this year, after having been postponed in 2020, and given the challenges faced by the tourism industry.
The awards identify the highest quality tourism products in the market, those offering world class experiences which apply best practice in terms of sustainability by looking after the people and the land.
Applicants have the opportunity to tell the story of how their unique combination of landscapes, people and activities cannot be found anywhere else in the world – that it is a "100% Pure New Zealand" experience.
Operators must also show how they are embracing:
- Manaakitanga - showing aroha to their people and community
- Tiaki – duty of care for people and place, a commitment to the enhancement of their operating environment
- Whānau – maintaining connections, commitments and caring for their own people
The judging panel included representatives from Tourism New Zealand and Air New Zealand.
“We were thrilled to see so many entries this year and want to acknowledge each and every operator who entered for their dedication to supporting their community,” says Sue Parcell, Chair of the Judging Panel.
“The integrity and genuine commitment to manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga and whanaungatanga the winners demonstrated to visitors and the communities they operate in is remarkable and their recognition is well deserved.”
WINNERS – Qualmark 100% Pure New Zealand Experience Awards 2021
- GCH Aviation, Canterbury
- Carino Wildlife Tours, Paihia
- Nightsky Cottage, Ruapehu
- EcoZip Adventures, Waiheke Island
- Kaitiaki Adventures, Rotorua
- MDA Experiences, Rotorua
- Owen River Lodge, Nelson
- Rotorua Canopy Tours, Rotorua
- Skydive Franz Josef and Fox Glacier, West Coast
- Waiheke Dive and Snorkel, Waiheke Island
- Wildwire Wanaka, Wanaka
- Ziptrek Ecotours, Queenstown
What is Qualmark?
is New Zealand tourism’s official quality assurance organisation, providing travellers with a trusted guide to quality travel experiences in New Zealand. All operators who have achieved Qualmark Gold status are invited to enter the awards.